MediaTek VCOM driver is essential if you want to flash you Mediatek device with SP flash tool. If you don’t have it installed, you simply can’t use the SP flash tool in flashing your MTK devices. In this discussion I will be showing how to install VCOM driver on windows pc. Whether you are on windows 8, 8.1 or 10, the procedure is basically the same.
First, you need to disable driver signature enforcement as the driver for MediaTek isn’t signed and thus will not install without you disabling the driver signature enforcement.
How To Disable Driver Signature Enforcement In Windows 8, 8.1 And Windows 10
- Hold down shift and restart you computer, keep holding shift until you get a blue choose an option screen.
- Alternatively, Go to PC Settings from the start menu > Update and Recovery > Recovery.
- Under Advanced Startup, click on Restart Now.
- Your PC will do a kind of reboot and go to a blue choose an option screen. Click on Troubleshoot (refresh or reset your PC or use advanced tools) > Advanced Options > Startup Settings (change windows startup behavior) > Restart.
- Your PC will now restart and go to yet another blue screen with 10 options. Press 7 or F7 on your keyboard to select Disable driver signature enforcement.
- Your computer will auto restart again and then you can now proceed with the installation of Mediatek’s Preloader USB VCOM driver for Windows 7/8/8.1/10.
How To Install Mediatek Preloader USB VCOM Driver For Windows 8/8.1 And Windows 10
- Download and extract MediaTek USB VCOM Drivers: Download
- Go to Device Manager > Action > Add Legacy Hardware as shown below.
- Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list and click Next
- Select Show All Devices and hit Next
- In the next screen, click on Have Disk in the bottom right corner and then navigate to the drivers you extracted to your computer. The drivers you need are located in the Windows 7 folder. For x64 PC choose usb2ser_Win764.inf and for x86 PC make use of usb2ser_Win7.inf then click OK
- Once the driver loads, select MediaTek Preloader USB VCOM Port in the next screen and click on next.
- An error in red that says Windows can’t verify the publisher of this driver software will pop up. Select Install this driver anyway and the installation of the MediaTek Preloader driver will start.
- Now you can proceed to flashing your MTK based Android phone with ease using SP Flash Tool.
- After successful installation, I may get the error – This device cannot start. (Code 10), simply ignore it